The Campaign #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights has just launched a 15 page CAMPAIGN TOOLKIT #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights – Global Days of Action – 8-24 March 2017. ¿QUÉ ESTÁ EN JUEGO? en español
I am going to highlight some points of entry as I can hear you say “I don’t have time to read 15 pages.” “I don’t know anything about tax.” “What is #TaxJustice?”
Page 8 7 Reasons Why We Need #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights Print out the sheet for reference. #TaxJustice is when taxes are fairly raised and fairly spent.
- Tax is the key building blocks of society
- Tax is the most sustainable source of Government revenue
- Tax avoidance and tax breaks to big business costs developing countries
- #TaxJustice helps girls get a better education
- #TaxJustice reduces women’s and girls’ unpaid care burden.
- #TaxJustice helps women get life saving health services.
- #TaxJustice reduces violence against women and girls.
- When multinational corporations and the very rich don’t pay their fair share of tax, it hurts women most.
- #TaxJustice helps access to clean water that keeps women safer and builds their economic power.
- #TaxJustice provides social protection for women.
Focus this topic in a community meeting, a justice prayer, a Lenten reflection, a capacity building session with girls and women. Use the Powerpoint – Getting the Conversation Started. How does #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights link with our Position Papers?
If you use social media there are many suggestion as to what to write – for
- Facebook: go to page 12 of the toolkit … pictures that you can use are already prepared In English, French and Spanish Alternatively like me on Facebook and share my Facebook posting with your friends.
- Twitter see pages 9, 10, 11 and 12 Pages 11 and 12 are prepared tweets My twitter handle is @winifreddoherty @gsijp retweet the messages.
If you are a little more adventurous get engaged in a national campaign – Write a letter – the template is prepared.
Lastly there are key dates to be aware of:
- March 2 Oxfam International will launch a report on women’s economic empowernment
- March 8th International Women’s Day
- March 13 -24 is the Commission on the Status of Women – Theme: “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work.’
- March 15 ActionAid International will release a new report on macroeconomics and violence against women
- March 16 #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights forum in NY
- March 22 World Water Day – Ensure the Human Right to Water.
Your GSIJP Team in New York will be fully engaged in CSW 61. We are delighted to welcome Sr. Jane Joan Kimathi from Kenya to join us.