The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty will be celebrated on Wednesday October 17, 2012. The 2012 Commemoration will focus on the theme “Ending the violence of Extreme Poverty: Promoting empowernment and building peace”. A concept note has been prepared http://is.gd/H5knrn ‘Good Shepherd has been promoting poverty eradication through advocating for the implementation of the Social Protection Floor Initiative (SPFI). Social protection floors are nationally defined sets of basic social security guarantees which secure protection aimed at preventing or alleviating poverty, vulnerability and social exclusion. This initiative has gained in momentum over the past few months. The International Labour Conference adopted on 14 June 2012 the Recommendation no. 202 concerning national floors for social protection by a vote of 452 to 0, with 1 abstention. Text ILO SPF Recommendation 202 final wcms_183326 English wcms_183327 French wcms_183322 Spanish and wcms_184035 Italian
Paragraph 156 of the Outcome Document of the Rio+20 Conference on Sustainable Development supports the implementation of the Social Protection floor Initiative and reads “We stress the need to provide social protection to all members of society, fostering growth, resilience, social justice and cohesion, including those who are not employed in the formal economy. In this regard, we strongly encourage national and local initiatives aimed at providing social protection floors for all citizens. We support global dialogue on best practices for social protection programmes that takes into account the three dimensions of sustainable development and, in this regard, we note ILO Recommendation 202 concerning national floors of social protection.”
A book entitled ‘The Human Rights Approach to Social Protection’ was also published in June by the Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights, Ms. Magdalena Sepulveda Carmona and Carly Nyst. HumanRightsApproachToSocialProtection
In the Good Shepherd Direction Statement 2009 we stated that we ‘Work zealously with women and children, especially those who are trafficked, forced to migrate and oppressed by abject poverty. We support projects for economic justice, confront unjust systems and take a “corporate stance” when appropriate. In our position paper on Economic Justice we state ‘along with fulfilling the works of mercy by service to those in conditions of poverty, the eradication of poverty is also a moral and ethical responsibility of all. It is imperative to be active in effective advocacy and lobbying strategies to address poverty and to change dominant structures and systems that threaten future generations with the same vulnerabilities.’ What can you do now?
- Prepare for and celebrate the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty on October 17,
- Advocate and lobby for the implementation of a rights based social protection floor at local and national level.
There are two concrete and specific actions you can can organize and collaborate with others to change dominant structures and systems. Further specific actions towards the achievement of these goals include:
- a) Reading the concept note for the International Day – http://is.gd/H5knrn
- b) Visiting the website – http://overcomingpoverty.org/article/presentation-of-international-theme-for-october-17-2012 Review what was done in previous years. There is a signature campaign on this website ‘Striving Together to End Poverty, 185,544 signatures from 155 countries are now recorded. Is your name among this number?
- c) Read ILO Recommendation 202. Links above. This recommendation has the support of Member States, Employers and Workers. Ask your Government representatives, Employers and Workers about it? If they don’t know – share this two page fact sheet. – Fact Sheet the Social Protection Floor Initiative
- d) The signature campaign in support of the Social Protection Floor Initiative is still in progress and ongoing. Encourage everyone you know to sign it. English: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/signature-campaign-social-protection-floor/sign.html French: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/appuyer-le-socle-de-protection-sociale.html Spanish: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/en-apoyo-del-piso-de-protecci%C3%B3n-social.html Portuguese: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/patamar-de-prote%C3%A7%C3%A3o-social-para-todos-e-todas.html
- This is a way to create awareness, inform people of their rights and begin to advocate more earnestly for structural and systemic change.
- e) A post card is prepared in English to help you in advocating with your government. – postcard
- f) Become informed of the human rights approach to Social Protection. Read the book. HumanRightsApproachToSocialProtection